Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Cheyenne Frontier Days: Miranda Lambert and Dierks Bentley

I started listening to both Miranda Lambert and Dierks Bentley the summer after my freshman year of college. I came home, found out that there was a station on DirecTV that was nothing but country music videos, and I would just leave it on all day so it could follow me around the house. It was awesome in the beginning, too, because it would play something like five or six videos in a row before going to commercial break, which was only one commercial long and was for the station, anyway. I got a lot of new music that way: Miranda, Dierks, Josh Turner, this great cover of 'Jolene' by Mindy Smith. I was just in a country music mode. For some reason I always associate country music in my head with summer, so that might have helped. Also, I had just spent the past two months listening to nothing but Fall Out Boy and Panic! at the Disco and I think I needed a change for a while.



None of the people I know here in Cheyenne likes either of these people enough to buy a ticket, so it was me all on my lonesome for the show. Sucks to be them, is all I'm saying, because the show was awesome.

My view. Not so great as the rest of the shows, but this happened for a very, very important reason: I am so very broke.
It was so hard to get a picture of Lambert's face. She liked swinging her hair around, so most of the pictures I managed to get could have been any random blonde with big earrings.
As a cover, she did 'Stay With Me' by Faces. It was so much fun.
Here, I was going to make a list of my favorite songs that she *didn't* play. And then I realized that I would be listing half of her catalogue. She did play "Only Prettier" which is my favorite off the new album, so that makes up for it.
THEY DID A DUET AND IT WAS AS AWESOME AS AWESOME CAN BE. CAPS CANNOT CONVEY MY FANGIRLY GLEE DURING THIS MOMENT.
Even if you don't like Dierks Bentley, or don't know him, I encourage you to go, because he gives a hell of a concert. He was energetic, he was running all over the place, he was practically hanging out with the fans down in the Party Zone. It's a really fun show.
LACK OF MONEY MAKES PEOPLE SMALLER
And can I ask what is up with his hair? Because by all rights it should be hideous but...it's not. It's adorable. And to be adorable it's breaking the laws of physics and I can't figure it out.
Oh, and Dierks wins the Best Cover Award handily: "Shipping Up to Boston" by the Dropkick Murpheys. I wish I had a recording of it, but maybe this is new because I can't find anything else about it anywhere. It was entirely unexpected, which made it that much more awesome.

And because it only just came out today, and because its my favorite of her songs, here is the video for "Only Prettier:"




Is that Kellie Pickler? I think that's Kellie Pickler. Should I know the other people?

Cheyenne Frontier Days: It Begins
Brooks & Dunn
Rodeo
Danny Gokey and Sugarland
Parade!
Josh Turner and Alan Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment